Monday, March 3, 2014

#20. Book Review: Vegetables: A Biography

I have had an influx of good ideas lately from those out there reading. Thank you. One of the ideas was book reviews. I am a voracious reader because of interest, class and work so I might as well share what I am reading.

Vegetables: A Biography

By Evelyne Bloch-Dano
Translated by Teresa Lavender Fagan
Narrated by Elizabeth Hanley

This book was originally written in French. I can't read French so I have read the English translation. There are some differences between the French and the English but not much.

What is this book about?
This book covers the history, linguistics, literature and cuisine around some of our common and forgotten vegetables.  The book contains a lot of history about how varied vegetables ended up in European, American and other cuisines. It is punctuated with pieces of literature, poetry, recipes and linguistic history... including the slang that derives from vegetables like "cabbage head". 

What I loved about this book.....
I normally listen to books as audiobooks. The one I listened to was read by Elizabeth Hanley. Her French accent, at least it sounds French to me, made the book experience better as it reminded me that this book was written from a Non-American perspective. I really like the way it was more world centric than American-centric like many of the food books I have read recently. I loved that all the subjects were blended flawlessly. Too often books break the science, history, literature and personal apart in a book. This book blended everything together into an easy to read and entertaining narrative.

What could have been better?
I wish it was longer. I wish this book went on about every fruit and vegetable in every cuisine. I really loved the author or translator's style.. I assume both working together.

On my own part I wish I knew French. Some of the phrases and poetry was read in French in the translation. I think it would have gotten a little more out of the book had I known French.

No comments:

Post a Comment